Criminals set up bogus website offering specials on certain gifts, from holiday accommodation to air tickets. The victim then clicks on the website as it looks professional and the price appears to be cheap. The victim then makes a purchase using their credit card details thinking they are buying from a genuine company. The purchase goes through but the victim never receives the goods as the website was fake. The criminals then have access to bank customer’s bank details and can use these fraudulently and could also include stealing the identity of the victim.
- Do not trust websites you do not know.
- Don’t fall for offers that are available at a very low price. If it seems to be too good to be true, it usually is.
- Register for 3D Secure to secure your card details.
- Do not send emails that quote your card number and expiry date.
- If you are requested to confirm your banking or personal details via a link, don’t click on it.